The Claims Commission has exclusive jurisdiction in the following matters:
- All claims against the State founded upon any State law or regulation other than Workers’ Compensation claims; claims within the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Employment Programs; claims under the West Virginia National Guards Act; and those claims covered by the State’s insurance and defined as being within the coverage provisions of such insurance. See W.Va. Code §14-2-14
- All claims under the Crime Victims Compensation Act.
- All construction contract claims against the State.
- All contract claims against the State.
- All compensation claims against the State for time unjustly served in West Virginia prisons by innocent persons.
- All damage claims against the State for torts. Specifically included are all tort claims against the Board of Trustees of the University System and the Board of Directors of the State College System.
- All claims for damages caused by escaped inmates of State institutions.
- All other claims against the State under related statutes.
All CLAIMS FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE MUST BE FILED WITH THE CLAIMS COMMISSION WITHIN TWO YEARS OF THE DATE OF THE INCIDENT. CONTRACT CLAIMS MAY HAVE CONTRACTUAL TIME FRAMES FOR FILING CLAIMS WITH THE CLAIMS COMMISSION. See W. VA. Code §14-2-21.
Click (here) for the 2020 Claims Commission Report